A friend of mine sent me this, I thought was pretty good.
How the mega-church resembles the mob:
1. Has a founding family, with a "godfather" type as pastor. It is assumed the son will take his place. Access to the "godfather" is limited.
2. The larger families, lord over smaller, sometimes giving the appearance of helping, this too, however, can be an attempt to cement control, and further prove the power of the larger family.
3. If your an outsider, your out, no special treament or knowledge is presented. Once your in your in, you become priveledged to know the future of the church, you are made to feel that your approval is valued. You may even be granted rare access to the "godfather" himself. If you last long enough, you may eventually be considered a "pillar" of the family.
4. As an insider you see all the works and learn the players (know the hit men, and see the hits, often the "family" tries to pull you into the hit, so that the element of control is enhanced).
5. As a mere footsoldier for the family, direction comes from the "godfather" through others, and you are expected to only carry out what you were tasked with.
6. Independent thought, or attempts to improve the process/organization/family will be met with some sort of minor punishment (broken knee caps, or amputated pinky finger); in an attempt to discourage any action outside of what is mandated by the "godfather". These attempts will be seen as a personal offense toward the "godfather" or a threat to the other high ranking family members. This is typically spiritualized as "taking some time off to prevent ministry burn-out".
7. Continued independent thought (even to the betterment of the "family"), will be considered offensive.
8. At this point a hit will be put out on you. From here it will only be a matter of time before you find yourself in a cement coffin, or face down in a drained pool. Do not attempt to explain your actions, or wonder why you had no chance to discuss the issues. You have stepped on an ego of a higher ranking family member, than yourself, you will be prevented from being heard. You will wonder what your offense might have been, the family will justify it as "creating a coup to overthrow the godfather" or "lack of unity with the family".