I would like to recommend a book to start the New Year off with, "Primal" by Mark Batterson.
In the last section the author states what the book ‘Primal’ is about.
“What does our generation need to rediscover? What primal truth needs to be remained? What is our reformation? Simply put we, we’ve got to be great at the Great Commandment…”
This book is about being great in loving God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength and the writer attempts to give some thoughts on what that love would look like.
1. Loving God with all of our heart can be seen and exemplified in our giving.
2. Loving God with all of our soul is found in our rediscovery of wonder. He uses the idea of a ‘sixth sense’, we can only know some things as God reveals them to us. Thus emphasizing the necessity of reading/studying Gods word.
3. Loving God with all of our mind is seen in renewing our curiosity and not being afraid to ask questions. Christians should be the most creative people of all
4. Loving God with all of our strength means not being afraid to sweat. Manually working and laboring for God.
I enjoyed the book for 3 reasons
1. He said what needed to be said in just over 170 pages (It seems like authors always have to have at least 200 pages,,,WHY?)
2. He used examples from science, history and life to make his points
3. He seemed to write with passion. This is something he wanted to say (not just write a book about)
Thanks to WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for providing me this book to review.